Everything you need to know about the fall fishing in the Gulf of Mexico
One of the biggest advantages of fall fishing is that you avoid the summer crowds, giving you the opportunity to catch a fallfish.
Fall fishing on the Gulf Coast of Florida offers up a reel adventure for those who love spending time with mother nature, dropping a line into Steinhatchee searching for a fresh catch. This post is intended to provide information about what you need to know about fall fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.
Here are some highlights on fall fishing in Florida’s Gulf Coast: where to go fishing, the popular fallfish, and fishing license.
One of the best places to go fishing all year round is Steinhatchee, and it gets better during fall. During the fall season, the weather is warm but starts to become cooler. This is the period for fish migration. They come closer to the warmer, nearshore water. These weather conditions make the water temperature perfect for fishing activity.
Popular Fall Fish
The most popular fish species in Steinhatchee are the Redfish and Speckled sea trout.
- They are also called red drums, and spottail.
- Their life span can exceed 40 years.
- Redfish inhabit inshore and offshore waters along the Atlantic coast from Massachusetts to Key West and throughout the Gulf of Mexico.
- In Florida waters, they can reach lengths of up to 45 inches and weigh up to 51 pounds.
- Redfish begin spawning in the fall when daylight hours decrease and water temperature begins to cool.
Speckled sea trout, also known as speckled trout:
- The back is dark gray or green, fading to a silvery or white belly.
- Several black spots on their back extend to dorsal fins and tail.
- Pair of large canine teeth at the tip of the upper jaw.
- They are up to 39 inches (17 pounds); common to 14 inches
- Their habitat is at coastal waters over sand bottoms or seagrass beds
A fishing license is required to go on a fishing trip in Florida. The good news is that you don’t need it when you’re going on a fishing trip with us.
Don’t miss the opportunity to spend quality time with family and friends in such an enchanted place at Steinhatchee. The captain’s license covers everyone in the boat. Call us for more information or fill out our contact form.